As your Principal, it gives me great pleasure, on behalf of the governors, staff and students, to welcome you to the Burton Borough School website.
Burton Borough School is going through an exciting and ongoing period of growth, with fantastic opportunities for learning continuously being developed, not least in our £8 million building, opened in June 2015 and our new £1.2m main hall for performances. We are, above all, an inclusive school with a firm belief that all students, no matter what their backgrounds, needs or abilities, are able to succeed and reach their full potential given the right care, support and guidance. We understand that all students have different gifts and we nurture these to bring out the best in each of them. Staff at Burton Borough have high expectations coupled with the drive, commitment and passion to help young people succeed, so preparing them well for the next stages of their life, no matter where it might take them.
‘Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric’
– Bertrand Russell
In this fast paced, ever-changing 21st century, it is vitally important that we develop our students to become confident, lifelong learners who are unafraid to voice their own opinions and debate them in an intellectual, considered and structured manner. We are living in an age of seemingly endless and complete information with the answers to everything available at the click of a button. It is also, however, an age of amazing innovations; more importantly than ever before, our students need encouragement to acquire their own creative and critical thinking skills. We want all our students to become well-rounded individuals who are more than able to compete with their peers, not only nationally but internationally.
From the moment you walk through the doors at Burton Borough you will feel the vibrant, caring and supportive atmosphere.
I hope that you find the information you need on this website and I look forward to meeting you all.
At Burton Borough, we are proud to be an inclusive Community Comprehensive School that provides an education that meets the needs of every student in Newport and our surrounding area. We aim to provide an educational experience in which the individual student is at the heart of all we strive for through care, challenge and mutual respect. Burton Borough School actively promotes British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs, race, gender, ages and disability.
Guiding Principles, Ethos and Values
- We are inclusive, we value all children equally.
- All young people have unique qualities and can achieve great things.
- We want all students to be secure and happy young people.
- We have high expectation of our students; we expect them to make excellent progress, to work hard and to reach their academic potential.
- We insist on high standards of behaviour; we want a calm, safe school where every students can learn without distraction.
- We emphasise the importance of mutual respect, courtesy and care for the school environment.
- We work closely with, and stand shoulder to shoulder with, our parents and carers.
- We contribute to the communities that we are a part of; locally, nationally and globally.