The Burton Borough University is our name for the extra-curricular programme we run at Burton Borough School. The purpose of this is to deliver ‘Cultural Capital’ to the students and our activities concentrate on developing a growth mindset as well as broadening their educational experience. We want to enable the all students in the school to be suitably challenged beyond the requirements of GCSE and to be offered opportunities to develop a wide range of skills and explore a variety of interests.
We offer subject specific activities, clubs and competitions as well as some larger projects run by external providers. These sessions may run at lunchtime or after school, depending on what is most convenient for the departments concerned.
- BBS Film Club – IntoFilm website
- Strategy Games Club - Lunchtime in C18
- The Big Think - Oxplore Website
- Critical Thinking Sessions - Blue week Wednesdays after school until 4:15pm
- VEX IQ Robotics Challenge Team
- Young Journalists
- KS3 Creative Writing Club
- Mock Trial Team (Y9+10)
- Brilliant Club (Y10)
- Unitracks (Y10+Y11)
- Y10 Maths4 Life – exploring the mysteries of tax, debt and shopping
- Bletchley Park – EEL day event exploring the importance of the work done there during WW2
- Python programming for beginners
- University College Oxford Workshops – talking about what top universities are looking for and the basics about university: studying, courses on offer and student life.
- Year 8 mock trial day
- Carnegie Medal Award Shadowing
- Shakespeare Live cinema trips
- Year 10 University Access Course
- Girls Coding