The Burton Borough University is an all-encompassing extra-curricular programme which will develop into an extra- and super-curricular programme in the future. The purpose of this is to deliver ‘Cultural Capital’ to the students and our activities concentrate on developing a growth mindset as well as broadening their educational experience. Eventually, bespoke specialist programmes will be developed in each subject to enable the most able students in the school to be suitably challenged beyond the requirements of GCSE.
We offer subject specific activities, clubs and competitions as well as some larger projects run by external providers. These sessions run at lunchtime or after school, depending on what is most convenient for the departments concerned, and it is an expectation that each faculty area runs at least one per year. Students accumulate credits for attending and participating fully in the sessions; this will lead to a ‘graduation’ when they have amassed the appropriate number of points.
- BBS Film Club – IntoFilm website
- Strategy Games Club - Lunchtime in C18
- Year 7 and 8 Thinking Skills - White week Wednesdays after school until 4:15pm
- The Big Think - Oxplore Website
- Y9 and 10 Critical Thinking Sessions - Blue week Wednesdays after school until 4:15pm
- Y10 Maths4 Life – exploring the mysteries of tax, debt and shopping
- Bletchley Park – EEL day event exploring the importance of the work done there during WW2
- Python programming for beginners
- University College Oxford Workshops – talking about what top universities are looking for and the basics about university: studying, courses on offer and student life.
- Year 8 mock trial day
- Carnegie Medal Award Shadowing
- Shakespeare Live cinema trips
- Year 10 University Access Course